Soccer is sometimes called “the beautiful game.” The experts at San Diego’s Vino Carta believe the 2022 FIFA World Cup soccer tournament can be both beautiful and intoxicating when mixed with international wine selections.
Reality: Political intrigue and nationalistic activism has made the tournament a smoldering cup of intrigue. Passionate soccer fans need to take the edge off.
There are no timeouts during a soccer game–but that needn’t deter fanatics from watching TV in their homes and cutting the tension with a striking glass of red or white.
Never mind that these international soccer matches are being played in the Middle Eastern country of Qatar–where alcohol sales in the stadiums are banned.
And it’s Happy Hour somewhere in the world–no matter that many of the games are airing here in San Diego’s Pacific Time Zone in the morning or early afternoon.
[Cover photo: Getty Images]
Vino Carta in Little Italy. (Courtesy photo)
Dubbed a “neighborhood” wine shop and bar, Vino Carta focuses on small, family-run producers and natural wines made through organic and sustainable farming practices.
Vino Carta’s recommendations for upcoming Group Stage match pairings include:
Tunisia vs. France (7 a.m., Wednesday, Nov. 30)
Mais, oui, multiple French options abound.
- Domaine Sylvain Cathiard et Fils 2020 Bourgogne Hautes Côtes De Nuits ‘Aux Chaumes’
- Jean-François Ganevat NV ‘Sul-Q’ (Savagnin)
- l’Archiviste 1979 Rivesaltes Vin Doux Naturel
- Éric Bordelet NV Sidre Tendre
- Domaine Rouget 2020 ‘La Monatine’
- Domaine Pinelli 2020 Rouge
- Mas Coutelou MAG 2020 ‘Tradition’
Poland vs. Argentina (11 a.m., Wednesday, Nov. 30)
- La Cayeneta 2020 Criolla Blanca from Mendoza, Argentina.
Costa Rica vs. Germany (11 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 1).
Achtung, baby, for these German bottles:
Japan vs. Spain (11 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 1)
- Kidoizumi Shuzo Tokubetsu Junmai Sake (Japan)
- Akishika Shuzō (Osaka) NV Akishika Omachi Ginjo Sake (Japan)
- Nat Cool x Suertes del Marques 2020 ‘Cool’ (Spain)
- Bodegas Tamerán 2020 Marmajuelo ( Spain)
- Augalevada 2019 Ollos de Roque Blanco (Spain)
- Augalevada 2020 ‘Mercenario’ (Spain)
- Partida Creus 2020 UL (Spain)
- Alfredo Egia 2019 ‘Rebel Rebel’ Txakolina (Spain)
South Korea vs. Portugal. (7 a.m., Friday, Dec. 2)
Serbia vs. Switzerland (11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 2)
- Oskar Mauer ‘Babba’ (Serbia)
Vino Carta has two San Diego locations: Little Italy and Solana Beach. Both stock a wide variety of international wines. SDSun